Tuesday, July 10, 2007

Pills vs. Cigars

I just went by the shop in New Hope today and stepped into a whirlwind of cigar deliveries: Ashton, Fuente, Tatuaje, PG, and all that follows the mother-load of Padrons which arrived last week. I wonder if I am the only Tobacconist who gets a little giddy when great product arrives... It is rejuvenating for me, and it reminds me of exactly why I got into the business: of course a few, or 7, boxes found their way home with me.

So, I just got back into the office and I see an article on the internet which says:

By ANDREW BRIDGES, AP
Posted: 2007-07-10 14:16:02
WASHINGTON - A single pill appears to hold promise in curbing the urges to both smoke and drink, according to researchers trying to help people overcome addiction by targeting a pleasure center in the brain.The drug, called varenicline, already is sold to help smokers kick the habit. New but preliminary research suggests it could gain a second use in helping heavy drinkers quit, too.

I'm amazed at how many people are on anti-depressants, allergy medications, sleeping pills, and other pharmaceuticals. Our legal drug dealers are focusing on "targeting a pleasure center in the brain". Now, I have plenty of loved ones, friends, and acquaintances that have been, or are, on these commercially engineered drugs, but that does not stop me from having a disdain for those who push them and a society that somehow condones them while condemning Tobacconists. I wish these companies would stay the heck out of my brain's pleasure center. That is my exclusive domain, and I have an inalienable right to pursue my own happiness. I wonder what would happen to all of us pill poppers if we just sat back for an hour a day and enjoyed a great cigar or pipe. I think that would be the end of the pharmaceutical business ... so keep smoking.

No comments: